Skip to main content

The Everyday Flying Car

Upon watching Objectified by director Gary Hustwit, I was inspired by several designers that were interviewed. Most notably, it was Marc Newson and Chris Bangle who left the largest impact on me. Most of the designers discussed creating objects for here and now. Designer Marc Newson, however, spoke on the future of design. He mentioned designing for the future that you wanted to see, oppose to designing objects for today. This really spoke to me as I feel this is how real progress is made. Chris Bangle, who was a former design director at BMW discussed the relevance of automobiles. He discussed an emotional authenticity that is created between the driver and the car. He then discussed what the future of the car may hold. Will they remain personal representations of who we are? Or, will they simply get you to and from with no personal significance? Cars today have already become very homogenized. How may rounded black SUV's with silver trim do you see? It seems every automobile manufacturer is making the same types of cars. The future seems to be leaning towards this disconnect of automobile from owner. 
  
I tried to change that. I ambitiously fused Marc Newson thoughts about designing the future that I would like to see with a more personalized approach to transport. In doing so, I landed on a dream I have always had; The flying car. I have always felt roads are inefficient. Nothing speaks freedom like flying in the air. Flying cars have been in development for some time and technically exist. These cars, however, still need to be driven to an airport to take-off. Alongside licensing and air law, the aviation world has far too many roadblocks in it for the everyday flying car to take-off. I decided the ideal flying car is one that can land in your driveway. You can load the kids in to take them to school or go buy groceries. Menial, everyday tasks would need to be performed in a flying car for them to truly have a place in society. A series of air roads could be developed for efficient transportation, all while contained and kept safe. The car itself would reflect the owner, I imagine more opportunity for customization and performance so owners of these machines can once again feel they reflect who they are.  
  
So, here is what I envision my car to look like. I wanted to carry over current design elements such as side mirrors, head/signaling lights and body design to maintain that automobile feel. Of course, the science still has a long way to go for this to be reality, but it is certainly a future I would like to see.


The Everyday Flying Car


Rear View


Underbody


Side Profile


Home Life Mockup


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Intravenous Renders

For this mash-up, I imported my previous Coffee Intravenous model from Meshmixer and began to work on it within Rhino 6. It was quite refreshing to work in Rhino where I had the "photo realistic" tools available. The materials alone made quite a drastic impact on the final product. What I found most useful, however, was the toolbar Rhino had. I was able to accurately model an intravenous tube and have it bend and curve in whichever way I saw fit. I was also able to add tube inputs and outputs on the machines. Before they were just arbitrarily stuck in the sides of my object. I also separated the wheels from the wheel stand to apply a different material for a more authentic look. Finally, I was able to add an image plane to my computer to give it some life.  For the renders, I added a glossy floor with three point lights. I reduced the shadows on two of the lights to avoid overcrowding the image. I was then able to add a background plane and turn up the brightness of the lig

Papercraft Prototype: Structural Tests

I began playing guitar when I was fourteen years old. My love for it was back and forth until I started producing music when I was eighteen. This was around the same time I purchased this guitar. It has since been with me for eight years and gone everywhere I have. I have written and recorded many songs on it, even lived across continents with it by my side. I have always told myself that if the apocaplypse came and I could take one material object with me; this guitar would be that object, without a doubt. It was an easy decision for me to choose this for my papercraft project. I knew it would be challenging, but no other ideas came close to competing with this one. I had to do it. In the end, I was quite pleased with how my model in Rhino turned out. However, the papercraft realm was foreign territory for me. I was not sure what to expect or how it would go. The main focus of my first prototype was to test the strucutal integrity. This played a big part in deciding