Skip to main content

Remix Culture: Making the Mundane Manageable

Remix culture is creating a new object or artwork from an already existing work. This can include mashing multiple works together or re-imagining a singular piece. It provides room for innovation and expansion that the original avenue may not have explored. Today’s society is built around remix culture, constantly expanding on our predecessor's ideas. This allows for expedited technological growth, as the work of many minds can achieve a lot more. Remix culture also provides a platform for new and imaginative artforms to take shape.  
I began exploring remix culture with the use of object. I re-imagined what we use in our day to day lives with an attempt to streamline our lifestyles even further. I underestimated the difficulty that remix culture carries with it. Initially, I felt that using works that already existed would be easier than starting from nothing. It provided quite the challenge in conceptualizing ideas from pre-existing objects. Here are a few ideas I came up with in Tinkercad using objects from thingiverse.com.  My main aim in exploring remix culture was to make the little things in life a little bit easier.

Coffee Intravenous:
The Coffee Intravenous allows for a steady, consistent application of caffeine throughout the day. It bypasses the need for drinking and allows for a regulated dose. Inspired by a heavy coffee drinker.
Wheels (From Office Chair): https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2782416
 

Wiper Glasses:
If you are a glasses wearer, you know how chaotic it can be when walking in the rain. These automatic wiper glasses are a hands free solution to keeping your vision crystal clear in a downpour. Inspired by consistently wiping water off of my glasses.




Living Room Bridge: 
In adverse weather conditions, it can be a real pain getting all the way to your car. This bridge, much like you would use to get on an airplane, goes from your living room window direct to your vehicle. Inspired by a dislike of weather.



 
Cat Umbrella:
Given a cat's distaste of water, I felt it only appropriate to create a device that would allow them to play outside in the rain. It is in their nature to explore, and it is only fair they can do so comfortably. Inspired by someone who feels their pain.


  


Back-Brella 
 After creating the cat umbrella, I wondered why humans did not have something similiar. It is quite annoying to be constantly holding an umbrella and being left one handed for the duration of a stroll. This simple device functions as a regular backpack, but with the simple push of a button it becomes a hands-free water repellent device. Inspired by a frustrated rain-goer.




 
Combscissors:
If you have ever tried cutting your own hair, you would understand that you need three hands. One for the comb, one for the scissors and one to hold the hair in place. This device allows the comb hand and scissor hand to be the same hand. You can comb, hold and cut in one swift motion. Inspired by my own frustration of self haircuts. 




  
Guard Dog:
This mechanized device allows any dog to become a guard dog. The 360 degree cockpit allows for the sighting  of any intruder and the intuitive controls fit even the least adept canines. Inspired by a believer in the empowerment of dogs.





Shower Coffee:
This built-in coffee machine allows the showeree to indulge in their morning caffeine on an efficient schedule. Inspired by every minute counting in the morning.




Pancake Pan:
This pan comes in with a built in spatula that allows for the user to obtain the flattest angle against the pan. The nook in which the spatula lies allows the user to get the spatula all the way under the pancake before initiating a flip and risking pancake breakage. Inspired by an inadequate pancake maker.



Stair Slide:
This in-home slide allows the user to enjoy going from floor to floor. Stairs can become quite tedious over the years and it is important to keep the mind sharp. Inspired by the mundane staircases of society.





Comments

  1. I feel like I need the "Coffee Intravenous" with me at university... like it a lot :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Intravenous Renders

For this mash-up, I imported my previous Coffee Intravenous model from Meshmixer and began to work on it within Rhino 6. It was quite refreshing to work in Rhino where I had the "photo realistic" tools available. The materials alone made quite a drastic impact on the final product. What I found most useful, however, was the toolbar Rhino had. I was able to accurately model an intravenous tube and have it bend and curve in whichever way I saw fit. I was also able to add tube inputs and outputs on the machines. Before they were just arbitrarily stuck in the sides of my object. I also separated the wheels from the wheel stand to apply a different material for a more authentic look. Finally, I was able to add an image plane to my computer to give it some life.  For the renders, I added a glossy floor with three point lights. I reduced the shadows on two of the lights to avoid overcrowding the image. I was then able to add a background plane and turn up the brightness of the lig

Papercraft Prototype: Structural Tests

I began playing guitar when I was fourteen years old. My love for it was back and forth until I started producing music when I was eighteen. This was around the same time I purchased this guitar. It has since been with me for eight years and gone everywhere I have. I have written and recorded many songs on it, even lived across continents with it by my side. I have always told myself that if the apocaplypse came and I could take one material object with me; this guitar would be that object, without a doubt. It was an easy decision for me to choose this for my papercraft project. I knew it would be challenging, but no other ideas came close to competing with this one. I had to do it. In the end, I was quite pleased with how my model in Rhino turned out. However, the papercraft realm was foreign territory for me. I was not sure what to expect or how it would go. The main focus of my first prototype was to test the strucutal integrity. This played a big part in deciding